7 Steps for Finally Doing Everything You Keep Saying You’re Going to Do
Or so they say. Yet in so many instances you find yourself searching, waiting for change. But it’s time to stop looking around and stomping your feet. It’s time to own up and take the damn blame.
Because the only person who can make things happen for yourself is you. And the sooner you accept that, the better off you’ll be. Life is 100% active, not passive. I mean, you have two choices: You can either get things done or keep rambling about how you wish things would be.
So, where do you start? Try taking these steps. Follow them. Do not modify them. And whatever you do, do not try to bypass a single one. Whatever the goal – be it in or out of the gym – buckle down and commit to The Blueprint. Because this is how shit gets done.
- Think BIG: Before you do anything, you must define what it is you want to accomplish. In other words, what do you want to do or who do you want to be? We’re talking big picture here, so think at least a year down the road. 365 days from now, what do you want your life to look like? (Hint: The wonder of this all is that you get to choose.)
- Get Specific: Got you answer from question No.1? Great. Now it’s time to dissect it. Throw in some adjectives or adverbs and make that goal as detailed as possible. Want to make more money? Lose weight? Tell me how much. Want out of your job? Not much special about that. Try instead articulating the exact role you’d like to play.
- Dial it Back: Put that one-year goal in writing. And then, simultaneously, start documenting a strategy to back you out from there to determine corresponding 9-month, 6-month, 3-month, and 1-month goals. Every single step has a prerequisite. Be deliberate about the walk and you’ll soon be enjoying the run.
- Form an Army: This step may be the most critical. And unfortunately, it’s the one people tend to skip the most. But you must find people to help you. Search out others who have done what you’ve done. Network. Ask questions. Recruit a mentor. You have no idea what you’re risking by insisting on being an army of one.
- Devote Daily: With your strategy set and your support system intact, the onus is now on you to act and you must do so with frequency. Each and everyday do one thing that is specifically linked to your ultimate goal. Work on mobility. Send an email to a contact. Brainstorm by scribbling on a blank page. One action. Daily. You must nurture that which you wish to see grow.
- Recall and Remind: There are going to be days when you feel like giving up on the battle. Accept that, but be proactive against it by surrounding yourself with tangible reminders of why you want what you do. This may involve photos, quotes, music or other people. Drown yourself in whatever brings to mind that you want to be a better version of the current You.
- Never Give Less than 100%: Think you’re already doing all you can? Stop for a second and ask yourself how badly you want it. Does your effort match your desire? Be honest with yourself, because I’m going to challenge you and say that answer is no. Believe you have more to give and understand that you must do so if you want to make any real progress. If you’re truly hungry you can always push harder. You can always do more.
Follow these steps and consult them regularly, and I can promise you that you’ll soon be making progress. Because you need to go out and create what you’re after. You’re wasting nothing but precious time by expecting it to come to you.